Friday, September 18, 2009

Roll with it Baby

I know that significant milestones should not be met with the thought of ‘oh crap’ but that was my first instinct this week when Ben rolled over for the first time. I got a good early preview of this feat the other morning when he was in his cranky I don’t want to go back to sleep even though its 5:30 and mommy wants to lull me back to sleep mode. He was half awake when I put him down swaddled. I went to pat the dog, hoping he would settle himself down. Instead the burrito was face down in the crib when I came back a minute later. Don’t worry grandparents he had his head to the side but my first thought was oh good lord, the easy days are over. The days of ‘stay here on the changing table while I go across the room to get an outfit for today’, the ‘days of wait here on the bed so I can pee’, the days of let me put you here while mommy goes to write her blog, are OVER. Later that day when down for a nap he flipped full over for the first time.

Nanny Sharon started this week and since then he’s been rolling every so often. Nanny Sharon thinks I am nuts because now that he does this I am too scared to let him sleep all night in his bed for fear that he will suffocate himself. He is after all still just a niblet and only three months old. Damn him for being advanced. Even the pediatrician I think stifled a laugh when I called them. Oh well I am a first time mom I am supposed to be paranoid… right? Needless to say the swaddle is out of our lives for good. I will miss you swaddle. Though Ben hated you, you kept him asleep for longer and you spawned the Ben Burrito song.

We are loving having Nanny Sharon here. She is putting Ben thru his paces. They sing, read books, practice flipping, do work outs and take a lot of walks. She’s been teaching Ben to go to sleep on his own rather than mommy’s previous method of having him drink himself milk drunk and pass out. Ben is getting pretty decent at it, doesn’t really cry but does amuse himself for a while before falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment