Thursday, July 30, 2009

Things I've been wondering

Do other parents obsess with getting boogers out of their kids nose? When I see something in there its all I can think about. Even though he screams bloody hell when I try to fish it out, I still torture him because I keep thinking his nose is so small and its the only way he breathes.. I must get it out....

Will I ever learn not to poke my child in the middle of the night to see if he is breathing. Inevitably it leads to an awake child. Last night he went down around 10ish and by 4am I hadnt heard a peep. So of course i poked him which started his whimpering intermitentally. And then although the slept til around 5, I was up from 4 on, waiting for him to wake.

Am I the only one estimating on dates when I fill out my kid's baby book? Are there wonderfully organized people that when they see the first smile, they run to record it. Or are they like me and randomly pick a date of the week that they believe it started. Five years or even five weeks from now, will anyone really know.

Does everyone park their kid on the playmat just to get some time out? I know I should be playing there but really he is amusing himself just fine. I cant imagine that me not saying here is your hand, hit the kitty kat, or ba ba ba ba will have long lasting developmental effects. He's there right now in fact (sporting a very tempting booger I might add but alas its too far back for me to get).

3 comments:

  1. Hysterical! I've never birthed anything, so I don't have answers. I do see a common theme in stories from other friends with little ones though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for me, it's earwax. I hate seeing chunks of stuff in their ears, so i check them at bath time. i am very careful- i don't dig- only remove the little bits that are sitting right there at the opening.

    as for the poking, i don't do that (note from experience: NEVER wake a sleeping baby! not even to eat! I don't care what the doctor says. I don't even change diapers during the night if i can help it!) But I do crouch down by the side of the crib to see if her chest is rising and falling. Or lick my finger and put it under her nose to see if I can feel breath.

    OK, I have probably given you TMI. but I just wanted you to know that you are totally NORMAL!

    me on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beware the booger thing. Yeah, I was like that and now Kieran asks for "the sucky thing" (aka the bulb syringe) to get boogers out of his nose... even if he doesn't have any.

    Yes, I would wake up when the kid had not. I however, would then wake up Ken (who had better hearing when it came to Kieran) to ask him if he could hear him breathing on the monitor. Or, I'd turn the monitor up so loud that it woke Ken. Awake and grumpy husband - yes. Poking the baby - no.

    Baby book? Geez, I don't think I looked at that thing for AGES. I just cracked it again a few weeks ago. I put general months down. Or, better yet, I check my blog. That's what the darn thing is for. Screw the baby book. My kid's life is online.

    And time out for parents? NECESSARY FOR SANITY. Don't let anyone every guilt you into it. 10 minutes cooing to himself will not hurt Ben. It'll give him independence. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete